Salad Bar Style Salad…
Serves 4 large dinner sized salads
• 6 medium ripe tomatoes (quartered)
• 1/2 one tele cucumber (sliced)
• 1 small red onion (sliced)
• 200 gm of your choice of cheese, I used strong aged cheddar (diced)
• 1 lg Iceberg lettuce (roughly chopped)
• 1 lg head of broccoli (steamed, cooled and broken into florets)
• 1x 400gm tin of red kidney beans (washed and strained)
• 1 lg avocado (diced)
• 1/4 one large japanese pumpkin (roasted and cooled)
• olive oil & seasoning for your roast pumpkin
Salad Dressing ingredients:
• 1 cup of thick greek style yoghurt
• 2 gms (one large handful) of fresh dill chopped
• 2 tbsp parmesan (grated with a microplane)
• 1 tbsp white balsamic
• 1 tbsp high grade olive oil
• 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
• 2 pinches of celtic sea salt
1. Firstly I made the salad dressing as I wanted the flavours to richen and infuse as much as possible.
2. Place the yoghurt, olive oil, balsamic, finely grated parmesan, fresh dill, salt and pepper in a bowl mixing them together, and placing them in the fridge while preparing the rest of your salad ingredients.
3. Pre-heat your oven to 180c, cube your pumpkin, oil and season it.
4. Roast in the oven until just cooked, and cool.
5. Place a small sauce pan on to boil and steam your broccoli florets until they have just reached that bright beautiful green colour.
6. Remove from heat strain and cool.
7. Prepare all of the remaining salad items laying each out onto a plate so they are ready to assemble as desired.
8. In a bowl add your roughly chopped Iceberg lettuce topping it with each of your salad Items.
9. Dress as desired.
This is a great “get your veggies in” kind of salad. You could add any choice of protein to this. For my meat eating man I added some pulled pork I cooked over 6 hours. So very simple but full of great colour, texture, and taste!